When it comes to work on your home there’s no more important decision to make than the contractor you choose to do the work. Whether it’s choosing the best roofing company or the best gas company, the right contractor makes all the difference in time, money and quality of work. We asked Wighton’s Heating and Cooling owner Ric Schorer what he thought were key factors homeowners need to consider when choosing a contractor.
- Guarantees: Look for a contractor that offers you written guarantees on workmanship and equipment.
- Workmanship Guarantees: Look for a contactor that has “Installed Right” guarantees, no matter how much time has lapsed since the installation of your job. A good contractor will guarantee workmanship forever.
- Satisfaction Guarantees: Contractors should have guarantees of Your Satisfaction with the job.
- Professionalism: Contractors employees should always be professional. The service technicians should be neat in appearance and the contractor and can guarantee they are drug free.
- Availability: Make sure your contractor is available to meet your needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Financing: Your contractor should have financing plans available to make your transition into the HVAC project as easy and painless as possible.
- Licensed and Insured: Make sure you visit the California Consumer Rights Association (www.calconsumer.gov) and the California State License Board (www.CSLB.ca.gov) website and check the status of your contractor before you have any work performed in your home. They should also have builders public liability insurance and if you want proof of this, the information should also be available for your review upon your request. If they don’t show you that they’re insured, find another company.