Heating and Cooling Tips
Top tips to keep your heater and air conditioning unit running great!
Presented by Wighton’s, Inc
As much as half of the energy used in your home goes to heating and air conditioning. Making smart decisions about your home’s heating and air conditioning equipment can have a big impact on your utility bills and comfort. The most important thing you can do is to have your equipment professionally checked each year. Just like a car tune-up can improve gas mileage and help your car last longer, a yearly check on your heating and air conditioning equipment will improve efficiency, prevent costly breakdowns and extend the life of your equipment.
- Change your furnace filter regularly (at least once every other month), especially during heavy use periods like summer and winter.
- Install a programmable thermostat on an inside wall, away from doors and windows. Through proper use and setting, a programmable thermostat can save you about $180 a year in energy costs.
- During winter, keep the draperies and shades on your south-facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home. Close them at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
- During summer, keep the window coverings closed during the day to block the sun’s heat.
- Keep the area around your outdoor air conditioner free of weeds, dirt and debris to allow proper circulation.
- Use ceiling fans to circulate air and make rooms cooler
- Make sure furniture and other items are not blocking air ducts.
Pro-Tip! How to Heat & Cool Challenging Rooms:
Whole-home heating and air conditioning uses ducts to circulate air throughout your home. For homes with rooms that are challenging to heat and cool, consider ductless mini splits. Ductless mini splits are perfect for rooms that need additional heating and cooling, and homes where rooms have been added. They’re popular in computer rooms, home offices, sunrooms, attics and more. An advantage of mini splits is that you can control the temperature in the rooms where they’ve mounted independently of your other rooms. This means that, in the summer, your home office can be set at a cooler temperature from the rest of your home. These systems are quiet, efficient and easy to install!
Wighton’s Heating and Air Conditioning is the leading provider of residential and commercial heating and air-conditioning systems. Centrally located in San Luis Obispo, California, Wighton’s has been servicing the Central Coast since 1953. Give them a call at 805-543-4881 or visit Wightons.com