Have you been thinking about remodeling your home’s kitchen? Okay, so that is a loaded question. Who hasn’t been thinking about remodeling their kitchen? I just finished a kitchen remodel and I still think about it. What should I have done differently? How could I have fit more into my small space? Which cabinet color would I choose if I had it to do over? And, the flooring… what can I say about the flooring? The flooring wasn’t redone and that is of course where my eye goes as soon as I walk into my kitchen. I should have chosen new flooring. It was a cost saving measure, but it would have been so nice to have new flooring. There are certain things that can be missed out when redoing a kitchen because they just aren’t good investments. On the other hand, a kitchen faucet could be a good investment for your kitchen if you choose a sturdy one that will last a long time. There are two elements in my kitchen that I wouldn’t change, the granite and the back splash. They are wonderful. They are beautiful. They are by far my favourite part of the kitchen. I am so glad I didn’t choose cheap marble like my friend did. She quickly found out the cost of fake marble is so expensive because it buffs and damages so easily! Thank God I didn’t choose it. Anyway, given these many ponderings on the design and layout of my kitchen, here are some recommendations that I’d like to share:
- Make sure to have a very good plan: Think about what you want in your kitchen and think about how you use your kitchen. Think about the style, color, and feel and then examine how it flows with the rest of the house. One lesson I’ve learned as I’m guessing you have as well is that when you have an older home as you remodel or fix up one portion of the house, the rest of the house looks, well worse. Dirtier, older, more outdated. So make sure that what you are putting in your kitchen will flow with the rest of the house. Once your remodel is done, it’s done and you most likely will not be redoing it for many years. Find Kitchen remodelling design ideas online and try to picture what they would look like with the rest of your house. So have a PLAN.
- Consider the Cabinets: Really, really, really put a lot of thought into your cabinetry. The cabinets are the foundation of the kitchen and they must be of good quality and the right color. I’m not 100% sure that I chose the right color for my cabinets, and now, well it is what it is and that’s that. So make sure that the cabinets are what you want.
- Think about lighting: we put some great under cabinet lighting in, which my husband was a bit opposed too. It is wonderful! It is one of my favorite parts of the kitchen. I can see now when I’m working in the kitchen. Lighting is so, so important.
- Countertops and back splash: The countertops and back splash as well as the hardware make me think of jewelry-the finishing touches of your project. When everything is said and done the countertops and back splash will grab your eye. They will take you in. They will make your kitchen more beautiful than you could have imagined, or they won’t. So make sure to choose the right countertop and back splash. We selected a great granite with gray under tones that looks a lot like marble, but isn’t, so it’s more durable.
- Flooring: What kind of flooring do you have currently? Do you need to replace the flooring? As I mentioned above, I would recommend changing your flooring. Once it is finished, you just have old flooring if you choose to stick with your current flooring. I wish I would have done Solid Wood Floors in my kitchen. I think that it would have really set the room off. Make sure that your flooring is a good coordination with your cabinets because they will be right next to each other. If you are choosing to go with a wood finished cabinet and wood floor don’t try to match the two. They will never look the same even if they are close, so it’s much better to get a complimentary finish.
If you are thinking it may be the time for a kitchen update. I’d recommend calling Mr. Tom’s Tile in Atascadero. They can handle your kitchen remodel and offer great selections for your countertop, back splash and flooring- www.mrtomstile.comand layout of my kitchen, here are some recommendations that I’d like to share: