Courtesy of Wighton’s Heating and Air Conditioning
When you look at the whole physical being, there are many ways you can influence having a happy, healthy life. And it’s not all about diet and exercise. Some areas would surprise you how much they can affect your well-being.
Take for example the water you drink and the air you breathe. At Wighton’s, they’re concerned enough about both of those items that they have developed targeted products and services to keep you as healthy as possible.
This Special Report will cover four areas of your life (mental, food, exercise and air) that can easily help or hinder your health and happiness. Let’s start with your head first – because frankly – when you say it’s all in your head…it’s true.
It’s All in Your Head…
Shawn Achor, a popular positive psychologist, who teaches at Harvard and consults with countries and corporations worldwide, shows through many studies that developing habits of happiness can decrease your blood pressure, lengthen your life, and increase your measurable happiness. He suggests five areas to develop habits of happiness. They are:
- Journal writing every day
- Find 3 things you are grateful for each day
- Exercise for 10 minutes/day
- Meditate for 2 minutes/day
- Serve someone daily
So if you want a sense of feeling better about life, yourself and what’s going on in your life, start by building these 5 basic habits.
You Are What You Eat
We’ve all experienced the energy drop that comes from eating foods high in sugar and saturated fats. When you eat a balanced diet including whole grains, lean meats, low-fat dairy products and fruits and vegetables, your body has the fuel that it needs to manage your energy level.
Eating a low-fat diet can also help control weight. When you start the day with a healthy breakfast, you help avoid hunger spasms that could send you running to the fast food before lunch, says the American Dietetic Association (ADA). The ADA also recommends incorporating at least five times per day fruits and vegetables – which are low in calories and high in nutrients – into your diet to help with weight control.
Healthy habits can help prevent certain health conditions – such as heart disease, stroke and high blood pressure – by boosting high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or “good,” cholesterol and decreasing unhealthy triglycerides. This combination keeps your blood flowing smoothly, decreasing your risk of cardiovascular diseases. The Mayo Clinic says that regular physical activity and proper diet can help you prevent or manage a wide range of other health problems, including metabolic syndrome, diabetes, depression, certain types of cancer, and arthritis.
From the Mayo Clinic: Exercise!
You know exercise is good for you, but do you know how good? From boosting your mood to controlling your weight, check out these six ways on how exercise can improve your life.
- Control Weight
Exercise can help prevent excess weight gain or help maintain weight loss. When you engage in physical activity, you burn calories. The more intense the activity, the more calories you burn.
2. Combat Health Conditions and Diseases
Regular physical activity can help you prevent or manage a wide range of health problems and concerns, including stroke, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, depression, certain types of cancer, arthritis and falls.
3. Improve Mood
Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave your feeling happier and more relaxed. You may also feel better about your appearance and yourself when you exercise regularly, which can boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem.
4. Boost Energy
Regular physical activity can improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance. Exercise and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently.
5. Promote Better Sleep
Struggling to fall asleep? Or to stay asleep? Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Just don’t exercise too close to bed-time, or you may be too energized to fall asleep.
6. Can Be Fun
Physical activity can also help you connect with family or friends in a fun social setting. So, take a dance class, hit the hiking trails or join a soccer team. Find a physical activity you enjoy, and just do it. If you get bored, try something new.
It’s the AIR You Breathe!
Yes, there are many cities throughout the world that have become grossly polluted – but most people don’t think about the pollution that can be occurring right inside their home. And their health can be severely affected by particulates and biological matter that they may be breathing…without even knowing it. Here are 2 things you need to be aware of when checking your home’s air system:
Your Home Can Make You Sick:
- Critters: Dirt, mold, bugs, mites, and other “stuff” are all living in your duct system. The peskiest are Dust Mites. For creatures you can’t even see, dust mites can stir up a lot of trouble. About 20 million Americans are allergic to these little bugs. You may feel as if you have an endless cold or even asthma.
- Mold (Bacteria): Homes now retain more humidity and airborne pollutants, which cause longer life-spans, and more productive cycles of microbial activity within the home, such as mold, germs, bacteria and viruses.
3 Ways to Clean Your Home’s Air
- Replace your ducts: According to the largest flexible duct manufacturer in the United States, all flexible ductwork manufactured prior to 2009 is inferior to today’s flexible ductwork in both strength and insulation value. Nothing is cleaner than brand new ductwork. Daily, Wighton’s Champion Technicians measure high static pressures in undersized ductwork and find many improperly sealed duct joints. As a result, the system will perform extremely inefficient, pull dirty air from the attic or basement areas of your home, and will not deliver the comfort you expect from your heating and air conditioning system.
- Install a UV Light: Wighton’s has found the most successful way to eliminate airborne mold spores, viruses, bacteria, and the accumulation of mold on AC coil surfaces is with Ultraviolet (U.V.) germicidal lights; originally designed by the US Navy for maintaining the air quality in submerged submarines. For most people, the original motivation for installing UV germicidal lights is to abate indoor air quality complaints, and / or allergies. However, they are also pleased to learn that many hidden odors are also eliminated with U.V. technology.
- Install a High-Efficient Air Filter Cabinet: Most heating and cooling systems still use a basic air filter in the return air grille or inside the furnace. These filters were designed to protect the equipment and not the people served by the equipment. Today, however, there are several types of filter cabinets available in various efficiencies that can help you filter the air you breathe in your home. If you suffer from allergies, asthma, hay fever or other breathing difficulties, there is a high efficiency filter cabinet than can help you. Wighton’s can even provide you with the same type of air filter used in hospital surgery rooms.
Wighton’s total intent is to keep you healthy and happy. They encourage you to develop habits of happiness, mostly eat the good stuff, exercise and have fun with it and have your home air checked by one of their professional technicians. Give them a call at 805-543-4881 or visit www.Wightons.com.